[forum] Another teleconference partial edited transcript

Alan Coopersmith forum@XFree86.Org
Sat, 12 Apr 2003 20:43:02 -0700

Mike A. Harris wrote:
>>>If so, I hope they please speak up and let everyone know they're
>>>here so that their voices can be heard and represented.  David,
>>
>>X.Org is not represented. I do not know if any members have been
>>individually invited. I wasn't.
>
> I didn't realize X.org was still involved in the development of
> the X Window System.

As has been discussed here previously, X.org is slow moving, but
still actively working on a number of enhancements to X.  You can
see a selection of these at http://www.x.org/X11_technologies.html

>  Perhaps X.org was just overlooked based on
> incorrect assumptions.  Hard to say with certainty though as I'm
> a participant rather than a confcall organizer.  I wouldn't even
> know whom to contact at X.org, but perhaps someone else does.

Steve Swales would probably be a good choice as the X.org chairman
and the person who posted the official X.org statement to the forum
mailing list a couple of weeks ago.  I suggested Keith contact him
back at the end of February when Keith first talked to me about his
concerns with the XFree86 organization.  (And of course, since his
office is just down the hall from mine, I've had lots of talks with
him about this matter.)

> Alan Coopersmith and Bill Haneman were invited to the first
> confcall but nobody has heard back from them.

While Bill & I both work for an X.org member company (as do Keith
Packard & Jim Gettys for that matter), neither of us are heavily
involved in X.org.  (I'm officially part of a couple of long-defunct
task forces, and attended the in-person meetings a couple of years
ago when Sun hosted them in Palo Alto, but that's it.)

I admit not responding to Keith's invitation - just after receiving
it the forum mailing list announcement was sent out and I assumed it
would be handling the discussion he was intending to have.

--
	-Alan Coopersmith-      alan.coopersmith@sun.com
	 Sun Microsystems, Inc.   -   Sun Software Group