The new "render" extension has been added (see
below). The design has been
extended in the following ways:
- A new FillRectangles request was added.
- The 'mask' operand was changed to allow per-channel alphas.
- Implemented remaining code for client clip lists.
- Fixed plenty of bugs related to text rendering.
- Complete compositing code, except for separate alpha.
- Image scaling
- Separate alpha channels
- Support for visuals other than TrueColor.
Drivers with render extension support include: i128, glint, ati (r128
and radeon), chips, cirrus, mga, neomagic, nv, tdfx, trident, tseng,
Acceleration for the render extension:
- XAA infrastructure for acceleration.
- Experimental MGA acceleration using XAA
- kdrive (TinyX) infrastructure
- Experimental TinyX Trident 9525DVD acceleration
- New font naming/access library.
- Abstraction for core/Render text.
- Uses FreeType2 rasterizer.
- Allows anti-aliased/subpixel sampled text.
- Gracefully falls back to core rendering.
- Complicated font matching mechanism.
- Uses server DPI to convert point sizes to pixel sizes, even
for core fonts.
- Can use Xft, by default uses core fonts.
- Uses new options '
-fa' for family name and
-fs' for font size (in points).
- Add tests for anti-aliased, subpixel sampled and aliased
fonts using the Xft library.
- When the Xft library is build, uses Xft for all font access.
Qt, Gtk, twm:
- Qt changes available here.
- Gtk changes in process.
- twm hacks should never see the light of day.